News

FG Files Charges Against El-Rufai Over Alleged Tapping of NSA Ribadu’s Phone

FG Files Charges Against El-Rufai Over Alleged Tapping of NSA Ribadu’s Phone
  • PublishedFebruary 16, 2026

The Federal Government has filed criminal charges against former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over allegations of unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The case was instituted at the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, with the Federal Republic of Nigeria listed as the complainant and El-Rufai, aged 65, named as the defendant.

The charge document, sighted by OSUN DEFENDER, was dated February 16, 2026, and signed by counsel to the prosecution from the Department of State Services.

According to the filing, the alleged offences stemmed from statements El-Rufai reportedly made on February 13, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme in Abuja.

The government accused him in three counts of admitting to unlawful interception of the NSA’s communications, failing to report individuals allegedly involved, and participating in the use of technical systems said to have compromised public safety and national security.

The charges read, “COUNT ONE
“That you, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, adult, male, on 13th February, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV Station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this court, did admit during the interview that you and your cohorts unlawfully intercepted the Phone Communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 12 (1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

“COUNT TWO
“That you, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, adult, male, on 13th February, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV Station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this court, did state during the interview that you know and relate with certain individual, who unlawfully intercepted the Phone Communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, without reporting the said individual to relevant Security agencies and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 27 (b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Amendment, Act, 2024.

“COUNT THREE
“That you, Mallam Nasir El Rufai, adult, male, and other still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, within the jurisdiction of this court, with others still at large did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety, national security and instilling reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the Phone Communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, to which you admitted during an interview on 13th February, 2026, on Arise TV Station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131 (2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

The filing comes days after the Special Adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, called for a full investigation into El-Rufai’s claim that Ribadu’s phone line had been tapped.

Onanuga had raised concerns about the national security implications of the allegation in a post on his X account, urging authorities to thoroughly probe how such surveillance could have taken place and those who may have been involved.