News

Kidnapped Secondary School Student Release After Ransom Payment

Kidnapped Secondary School Student Release After Ransom Payment
  • PublishedFebruary 20, 2026

A secondary school student, Tope Oriloye, who was abducted on February 8 in Makeke Community, Akoko Edo Local Government Area of Edo State, has been released after a ransom of N2 million was paid.

The National Coordinator of the Movement for the Advancement of Akoko Edo People, Bode Ekundayo, disclosed this in a message to PUNCH Online on Thursday.

Oriloye was reportedly kidnapped by gunmen alongside Samuel Ilesanmi at a community health centre. Ilesanmi had taken his son to the facility with his wife when he was abducted.

Ekundayo said the community was grateful for Oriloye’s safe return but noted that Ilesanmi, who is from Ososo, remains in captivity.

“We all give thanks to God for the safe arrival of Tope Orilloye back home last night after payment of N2 million. She is safe, healthy, and unharmed.

“We are still awaiting the good news of the second victim, by God’s grace. He is from Ososo,” the message read.

The kidnappers had earlier contacted the families, demanding N100 million for the release of the two victims.

The Edo State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Eno Ikoedem, confirmed the student’s release on Friday.

She said, “I can confirm to you that Tope Oriloye has been released.”

The incident adds to a string of recent kidnappings in Edo State.