News

Oyo Attack: Seven Teachers Abducted, One Killed — Gov Makinde

Oyo Attack: Seven Teachers Abducted, One Killed — Gov Makinde
  • PublishedMay 18, 2026

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while authorities are still working to determine the exact number of missing pupils.

Makinde disclosed this on Sunday while addressing journalists on the security situation following the invasion of the schools by suspected gunmen.

The governor had earlier met with service commanders and heads of security agencies in the state to receive updates on the incident.

He revealed that an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, adding that security operatives had arrested six suspects within the community as well as three other persons of interest linked to the incident.

According to Makinde, the attackers are believed to be members of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in the North-West.

“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” the governor said.

Makinde stated that he had been engaging with authorities in other states over the growing security threat, warning that displaced terrorists could exploit areas with weak security presence.

“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” he added.

The governor further disclosed that preliminary intelligence reports indicated that some of those arrested might have acted as informants for the attackers within the affected communities.

“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” Makinde said.

He stressed that the state government would not rely solely on military operations in addressing the crisis, noting that consultations were ongoing with community and religious leaders, including officials of the Baptist Convention, as one of the affected schools belongs to the church.

“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he stated.

Makinde appealed to residents to remain calm and assured families of the abducted victims that efforts were ongoing to secure their safe return.

“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” the governor assured.

Describing the development as “very difficult and challenging,” Makinde announced that the state government would begin daily press briefings to keep residents informed about rescue operations and security efforts.