News

We Never Denied El-Rufai Food, Medical Care, Family Lied — ICPC

We Never Denied El-Rufai Food, Medical Care, Family Lied — ICPC
  • PublishedMay 18, 2026

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has dismissed allegations by the family of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, that he was denied food and medical care while in detention, describing the claims as false and misleading.

Speaking during a press briefing at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja on Monday, ICPC spokesperson and Deputy Director of Media and Public Communications, Okor Odey, said the agency only enforced its standard access control procedures.

The clarification followed viral allegations made by El-Rufai’s wife, Aichatou El-Rufai, and his son, Bello El-Rufai, accusing the anti-graft agency of preventing them from delivering food and medical attention to the former governor.

In a video circulated online, Mrs El-Rufai claimed she arrived at the ICPC headquarters around 7 p.m. on Friday with food for her husband but was denied entry by security officials.

Reacting to the allegation, Odey explained that the commission’s access control policy allows visitors between 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., noting that the rule existed long before the current leadership of the agency.

According to him, the El-Rufai family had previously complied with the policy and were fully aware of the visitation procedures.

He disclosed that on Friday, May 15, one of El-Rufai’s wives and a housemaid were allowed to bring food to him at least three different times between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., adding that the visits were properly documented in the commission’s visitor register.

Odey said Mrs El-Rufai herself admitted in the viral video that she arrived after the official visiting hours had ended.

He added that she had already delivered breakfast and lunch to her husband earlier that same day, which contradicted claims that the former governor was denied food.

The ICPC spokesman further stated that, due to El-Rufai’s status as a former minister, ex-governor and former federal agency director-general, the commission was required to maintain stricter security measures for his protection and for others in custody.

Addressing claims by Bello El-Rufai that his father’s doctor was denied access, Odey said the visitor identified himself only as medical personnel and failed to provide written authorisation from either the family or the detainee.

He explained that the commission merely requested proper identification and confirmation before granting supervised access, insisting that the action was part of normal security protocol.

“We did not deny access; it was part of the access control process, and until we’re sure, we will not allow it,” Odey said.

The commission also stated that the court order granting El-Rufai access to family members and medical care did not exempt him from the agency’s standard operating procedures.

On the issue of his continued detention, the ICPC said the former governor had not yet fulfilled his bail conditions.

“The court granted him bail, but he’s yet to meet his bail conditions. If he meets his bail conditions, we’ll immediately release him,” Odey stated.

He also revealed that El-Rufai had recently been granted permission to visit both his dentist and eye doctor on separate occasions under ICPC supervision, in addition to having access to the commission’s in-house medical personnel when necessary.

The commission expressed concern that the controversial visit was carried out in the presence of media personnel and outside approved visiting hours.