News

El-Rufai: ICPC Justifies Restricted Access To ADC Leaders, Cites Court Order

El-Rufai: ICPC Justifies Restricted Access To ADC Leaders, Cites Court Order
  • PublishedMay 23, 2026

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has defended its decision to deny leaders of ADC access to former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, insisting that its action was in strict compliance with a subsisting court order.

ICPC spokesperson, John Odey, said on Saturday that the Commission acted lawfully after receiving a formal request from the ADC seeking permission for party leaders to visit the detained former governor.

“Yes, we denied them. They wrote to us saying they wanted to visit El-Rufai. They listed the people who came: Aregbesola, Abolaji Abdullahi, and others. We got their letter on the 20th or thereabouts and replied to them on the 21st that they should not come because the court order was specific,” Odey said.

He explained that the court order strictly limited access to El-Rufai to only his immediate family members, his legal counsel, and his medical doctors.

“The access is limited to the category of his immediate family members, his legal counsel and his medical doctors. Based on the court order, under the circumstances, we are not able to grant them their request to visit,” he stated.

Odey said the ADC was duly informed before the visit, adding that the Commission had responded formally to its request.

“The letter was given to them, and it was stamped that they received it. But there is evidence that ADC received the letter. The fact remains that ADC is a political association and does not fall under the category that the court ordered us to grant access,” he said.

He also dismissed allegations that ADC leaders were harassed or intimidated by security operatives at the ICPC headquarters in Abuja.

“No, no, no. They were not harassed. No harassment whatsoever. They were not intimidated,” he said.

Odey explained that the presence of armed police officers at the Commission’s gate was routine and not targeted at the visiting delegation.

“Usually, you know that we have a detachment of mobile policemen at the gate all the time. Sometimes you see their trucks parked there. Those are the things they saw that they said we brought three trailers of police,” he said.

The ICPC spokesman insisted the Commission would continue to enforce the court’s directive restricting access to El-Rufai.

“We will not allow them. The court was specific, stating that the persons allowed are his immediate family, his lawyers, and his doctors. Anybody outside that category, we do not have the authority of the court to grant access,” he said.

He added that the Commission remained apolitical and acted strictly within legal boundaries.

“We are apolitical. We did not bring policemen to intimidate them. The police officers have always been there,” Odey said.

The ADC had earlier accused the ICPC of blocking its leaders from seeing El-Rufai during a visit to the commission’s headquarters in Abuja, alleging that heavily armed security personnel were deployed to intimidate opposition figures.

In a statement, ADC National Publicity Secretary Bolaji Abdullahi said the party had formally written to ICPC Chairman Musa Aliyu requesting visitation rights, citing concerns over El-Rufai’s welfare.

OSUN DEFENDER reports that El-Rufai is currently facing trial on nine amended charges bordering on alleged violations of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000, the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act 2006, the Kaduna State Penal Code 2017, and the Kaduna State Public Procurement Law 2017.

He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.