Osun

Police Defend Osogbo Shooting During Arrest Of Alleged Poster Vandal

Police Defend Osogbo Shooting During Arrest Of Alleged Poster Vandal
  • PublishedMay 24, 2026

The Osun State Police Command has explained the reason why its operatives fired shots during an arrest in the Ogo-Oluwa area of Osogbo, on Sunday morning.

It would be recalled that residents of Baruwa Area, Ogo-Oluwa were thrown into panic earlier in the day when the police operatives stormed the area to arrest one Semiu Baruwa.

Addressing the development, the Osun police spokesperson, Abiodun Ojelabi, in a statement on Sunday evening, said the policemen went to the area following a petition to the Inspector-General of Police about a social media video showing suspected AYE Confraternity members brandishing firearms, axes, and cutlasses.

According to him, the state Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, launched an inquiry and identified one of the suspects – Baruwa who was allegedly part of those who vandalised billboards around Osogbo and its environs and tracked him to the area to arrest him.

Ojelabi, however, said, “The arrest turned violent when hoodlums and suspected thugs tried to stop officers from taking Baruwa into custody. Faced with threats to their safety, the operatives fired warning shots into the air to disperse the mob and exit safely.

“The Command wishes to state unequivocally that no innocent person was targeted during the operation.”

The statement added that the actions followed operational safety procedures meant to protect lives and maintain public order.

Ojelabi said Baruwa was eventually arrested and is now in custody assisting with investigations, adding that efforts are ongoing to arrest other individuals seen in the video and those who allegedly obstructed the policemen.