News

Judge Threatens to Arrest IGP Over Contempt of Court Orders

Judge Threatens to Arrest IGP Over Contempt of Court Orders
  • PublishedFebruary 18, 2026

A judge of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Tuesday warned that she could direct the Nigerian Army to arrest the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, over continued failure to comply with court orders in a case involving the disappearance of Mr John Anozie.

The warning was issued by Justice Binta Nyako while hearing contempt proceedings initiated by Mrs Nnenna Anozie, whose husband was allegedly abducted by police operatives in June 2017 and has not been seen since.

Mrs Anozie told the court that her husband was taken from their residence in Lekki, Lagos, by officers attached to the now-defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), who reportedly travelled from Awkuzu, Anambra State, to carry out the operation.

More than eight years after the incident, his whereabouts remain unknown.

Since 2017, Mrs Anozie has pursued justice through various courts and also appeared before the #EndSARS judicial panels of enquiry in a bid to uncover the circumstances surrounding her husband’s disappearance.

Several court orders have directed the police to produce the missing man or bring the officers allegedly involved to account.

In September 2025, Justice Nyako ordered the IGP to produce the indicted officers and relevant case files linked to the abduction.

Mrs Anozie alleged that the police leadership ignored the directive, prompting her to commence contempt proceedings against the IGP.

Her counsel, Mr Vincent Adodo, told the court that Forms 48 and 49 — the statutory notices required to begin contempt proceedings — had been duly served on the IGP.

“Despite the avalanche of evidence, the IGP refused to produce the perpetrators,” the lawyer said, adding that the police could forward the case files to the Attorney General of the Federation for necessary action.

He also informed the court that Mrs Anozie travelled from Lagos to Abuja to attend the hearing.

Counsel to the IGP, Mr Stanley Nwodo, argued that he had only been served with Form 48 and cited confusion over the identities of the implicated officers.

Justice Nyako dismissed the argument.

“That is not the point because there is a judgment,” she said.

The judge declared that she would not hesitate to enforce the authority of the court if necessary.

“I will ask the Chief of Army Staff to arrest him. I will not ask the police,” she added, suggesting doubt that the police would execute an order against their own chief.

She presented two options to the IGP’s counsel — either allow the contempt proceedings to continue or agree to a meeting in her chambers to seek a practical resolution, with outcomes to be formally communicated to the Attorney General of the Federation.

Mrs Anozie’s lawyer expressed reservations, noting that previous letters had produced no results.

“There is a difference between when you write and when I write,” Justice Nyako responded, stressing the weight of the court’s authority.

She added that committing the IGP to prison might not resolve the matter, saying, “We are not having a case; we are proffering a solution.”

After a brief consultation, the IGP’s counsel accepted the proposal for a meeting in chambers.

The court adjourned the matter to 23 April, directing parties to liaise with the registrar to fix a date for the meeting before then.

The officers implicated in the case include Anthony Obiozor Ikechukwu, an assistant superintendent of police; Uzochukwu Emeana, a sergeant; John Eze, also known as Oriole or T Boy; and Sunday Okpe, a superintendent of police. Some are said to have retired from service.

Mr Anozie’s disappearance mirrors allegations that trailed SARS, including extortion, torture, extrajudicial killings and enforced disappearances, abuses that sparked the nationwide #EndSARS protests in October 2020.

Although the police later announced the disbandment of SARS and judicial panels were set up across several states, Mrs Anozie maintains that her husband’s case remains unresolved due to the failure of the police to cooperate.

In a motion filed in December last year, she accused the IGP of wilfully disobeying the September 2025 judgment and urged the court to commit him to Kuje Correctional Centre until he complies with the order.

Justice Nyako’s latest intervention, however, signals a possible pause in the contempt proceedings pending the outcome of the proposed meeting.