• News
    • Crime
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • Letter to the Editor
    • Magazine
  • Osun
  • Politics
  • Op-Ed
  • Sports
  • Economy
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
  • Jobs
  • Events
  • News
    • Crime
    • Editorial
    • Health
    • Letter to the Editor
    • Magazine
  • Osun
  • Politics
  • Op-Ed
  • Sports
  • Economy
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
  • Jobs
  • Events
Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram
E-Paper
Facebook Twitter
  • News
  • Photonews
  • Oduduwa
  • Entertainment
  • Osun
  • Op-Ed
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Economy
  • Agriculture
  • Technology
  • News
  • Photonews
  • Oduduwa
  • Entertainment
  • Osun
  • Op-Ed
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Economy
  • Agriculture
  • Technology
News

N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Snubs EFCC Invitation

N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Snubs EFCC Invitation
BySodiq Lawal
  • PublishedJanuary 4, 2024

Sadiya Umar-Farouq, the ex-Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, on Wednesday snubbed an invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), probing the N37.1bn allegedly laundered during her tenure in office through a contractor, James Okwete.

Umar-Farouq left interrogators waiting for more than eight hours without providing the commission with an official communication explaining the reason for not attending the invitation.

As per an exclusive document seen by our correspondent on Saturday, the ex-minister received a directive to present herself before investigators at the EFCC headquarters in Jabi, Abuja, on Wednesday, January 3, 2024, at approximately 10:00 am. The purpose of the appearance was to provide an account of the purported fraud that occurred during her tenure.

However, our correspondent who was at the EFCC headquarters from 9 am to 6.30 pm confirmed that the former minister did not show up at the anti-graft agency’s office for interrogation.

Nevertheless, newsmen who was present at the EFCC headquarters from 9 am to 6:30 pm, verified that the ex-minister did not appear at the anti-graft agency’s office for questioning.

An interrogator, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the interrogation team had to close from work at about 6pm when they were certain that the former minister was not going to show up.

“We just closed from work now because she didn’t show up today, and it’s 6pm already. It’s certain that she’s never going to show up today,” the source said.

Recall that the EFCC invited the former minister to answer questions concerning an ongoing investigation into an alleged ₦37.1bn fraud uncovered in the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs.

The document partly read, “The commission is investigating a case of money laundering involving the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development during your time as Minister.

“In view of the above, you are requested to kindly report for an interview with the undersigned. Scheduled as follows: Wednesday, January 3, 2024. 10:00 am. This request is made pursuant to Section 38 (I) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act 2004 and Section 21 of Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011.”

The ex-minister could not be reached for comments on Saturday.
Also, when our correspondent contacted her former media aide, Nneka Ikem, over the development, she was evasive.

“As you’re asking me I’ll be asking you too, where did you learn from that the EFCC had invited her?” Ikem asked before ending the call.

Meanwhile, Umar-Farouq had earlier denied knowing the contractor, Okwete, who is still being held by the EFCC.

Responding to the development in a tweet on Monday, Umar-Farouq said, “There have been a number of reports linking me to a purported investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission into the activities of one James Okwete, someone completely unknown to me.

“James Okwete neither worked for, nor represented me in any way whatsoever. The linkages and associations to my person are spurious. While I resist the urge to engage in any media trial whatsoever, I have however contacted my Legal Team to explore possible options to seek redress on the malicious attack on my person.

“I remain proud to have served my country as a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with every sense of responsibility and would defend my actions, stewardship and programmes during my tenure whenever I am called upon to do so.”

The spokesperson for the EFCC, Dele Oyewale, declined comments.
“I’m not around at the moment, and I can’t speak on that, please,” Oyewale said.

The EFCC arrested Okwete in connection with the ongoing probe into the N37.1bn allegedly laundered by the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development under the former minister, Umar-Farouq.

A top EFCC official, who confided in our correspondent on Sunday, said the contractor had made useful statements concerning Umar-Farouq and former director-generals of the ministry.

The development coincides with the probe of three other ministers, who served under former President Muhammadu Buhari, for graft estimated at N150bn.

“It is not only Umar-Farouq we are investigating. Three other former ministers are also under probe. They were allegedly involved in graft to the tune of N150bn,’’ a credible source in the EFCC had confided in our correspondent.

Umar-Farouq was the pioneer Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development. She was appointed by former President Muhammadu Buhari in July 2019.

Sodiq Lawal

Sodiq Lawal is a passionate and dedicated journalist with a knack for uncovering captivating stories in the bustling metropolis of Osun State and Nigeria at large. He has a versatile reporting style, covering a wide range of topics, from politics , campus, and social issues to arts and culture, seeking impact in all facets of the society.

Related posts:

Buhari’s Minister, Contractor Indicted As EFCC Uncovers N37 Billion Fraud EFCC Summons Buhari’s Minister Over Alleged N37 Billion Fraud Alleged 37.1bn Fraud: EFCC Grills Suspended NSIPA Boss As Buhari’s Minister Faces Investigators Today ₦37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Arrives EFCC Headquarters, Faces Interrogators

Tags:

National Social Investment Programme Saadiya Umar Farouk
Prev Post

Osun Defender History Corner: January 4 In Focus

Next Post

Ondo 2024: Ex- Deputy Speaker Declares Governorship Ambition

Osun APC Members Lambast Adeleke Over ‘Awolowo’ Comment
"I will replace Adeleke as Osun next Governor in 2026" - Osun ZLP Governorship Candidate 

The governorship candidate of Zenith Labour Party (ZLP) in Osun State has declared that he will succeed Gov. Ademola Adeleke of Accord Party in the next gubernatorial election in 2026
.
.
Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more timely updates: https://youtube.com/@OsunDefender?si=kKfIA-sC8lpdF7bQ

#osun2026 #osunstate #ZLP #ademolaadeleke #AccordParty #politics
"I will replace Adeleke as Osun next Governor in 2026" - Osun ZLP Governorship Candidate
📍Osun Today: 2026 Guber Will Be Dicey - Odeyemi, NNPP Chair

The Chairman of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) in Osun State, Dr. Tosin Odeyemi, speaks on the raging insecurity in Osun, the chances of his party in the forthcoming Guber poll, what the winner of the next election should focus on and other trending issues
.
.
Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more timely updates: https://youtube.com/@OsunDefender?si=lFdBsSc8HO5wox7r

#osun2026 #NNPP #interview
📍Osun Today: 2026 Guber Will Be Dicey - Odeyemi, NNPP Chair
📍Osun Today: Why Insecurity Has Persisted In Osun Despite Heavy Govt Intervention - Amitolu Shittu

Immediate-past Field Commander of Osun Amotekun Corps, Comrade Amitolu Shittu speaks on governance, politics, insecurity and issues trending in Osun State and beyond
.
.
Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more timely updates: https://youtube.com/@OsunDefender?si=vRA0du4E0WAZApB0

#osunstate #osun #osundefender
📍Osun Today: Why Insecurity Has Persisted In Osun Despite Heavy Govt Intervention - Amitolu Shittu
Days After Warning Netizens About Disrespect, Ondo Monarch Seen Dancing In New Video
😱 VIDEO: Kids exchanging confraternity greetings!
😱 Osun ADC Candidate, Dr. Najeem Salaam Speaks on the Modulated Salary conundrum
.
.
#NajeemSalaam #osun2026 #ADC
😱 Osun ADC Candidate Speaks on the Modulated Salary conundrum
Supporters of Oriyomi Hamzat gathers as he prepares to officially declare his political ambition
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke Displaying His Dancing Steps
Subscribe

Trending Stories

QUICK LINKS

  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • E-Paper
  • OsunDefender Youtube TV
  • Events
  • Jobs
  • Donation
  • Contact Us

OTHER LINKS

  • Terms and Conditons Of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Click To Chat Us On Whatsapp
  • editor@osundefender.com
Facebook Twitter Youtube Whatsapp Instagram

Category

  • News
  • Osun
  • Politics
  • Op-Ed
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Oduduwa
  • Agriculture

Newsletter

Be the first to get hottest news from OsunDefender

Copyright © 2006 – 2025 Osun Defender, All rights reserved.